Thursday, March 22, 2012

"...but three angels soared"

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: By the time James Cameron took the stage to accept his Academy Award for Best Director on the night of March 23, 1998, the Oscar dominance of his blockbuster film Titanic was all but assured. Titanic tied the record for most Oscar nominations with 14—joining 1950's All About Eve—and by night's end would tie with Ben Hur (1959) for most wins by sweeping 11 categories, including the coveted Best Picture 

Everyone remembers that movie.

But earlier that day, before Mr.Cameron was even beginning to get ready for his big night, televisions were tuned to the news. The headlines the following morning would stress to all just how much our servicemen and women sacrifice for us. 

Earlier that day, a LifeFlight helicopter carrying a young girl to the area hospital fell out of the sky and changed the people who would become my family forever.

My husband's father was aboard that chopper. Mike was just months from retirement and days from his birthday. He left behind his soulmate Loree, their 3 children, their children's spouses and 4 of his 10 grandchildren.

I, obviously, never met the man who was my father in law. I often wonder if he would have liked me. If he would be proud of the little family we have. I wonder how different this family I love would be. It's been said that Mike was the glue that held everything together. I wish he were here to play with our daughters. I know he would be outside with Bob in the driveway or garage - just hanging out, the way we do.

Payton is old enough to ask about him. She says her heart is broken that she doesn't know her grandpa. There is a large painting of Mike at the end of our hallway, we look at it every day. 

Some believe there is life after death, some believe your body becomes dust and you are simply no more. Either way, your memory lives on. It lives on in the hearts and minds of all those you have touched, and even some you haven't. Sometimes you die a hero. As someone selfless enough to walk into a burning building as everyone else is running out.


In Memory
of the Firefighters of Fire 3
3badges_3.gif (17571 bytes)
Apparatus Operator
Michael D. McComb

Fire Station 90B Platoon
Appointed May 13, 1972
 
Firefighter Lead Paramedic
Eric F. Reiner

Rescue Ambulance 81B Platoon
Appointed November 28, 1988
 
Firefighter Paramedic
Michael A. Butler

Rescue Ambulance 81B Platoon
Appointed December 9, 1984

1 comment:

Amy E. McCollum said...

I'm in tears. I can't be there to hug you but, I'm sending You, Loree, Bob and the Girls loving energy. I'm so sorry for your loss honey. I know he would have loved you and he would have loved how happy you make his son. Give Loree our condolences, I know this time of year is so hard for her. Love you bunches!